The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is a six-time award winning, nationally recognized agency and recipient of the National Gold Medal Award for Excellence in Parks and recreation management, serving the Maryland region adjacent to Washington, D. C. This full time, career position in the Park Development Division of the Montgomery County Department of Parks offers an excellent opportunity for a construction professional to manage the Department’s Capital Improvement Program (CIP) construction services program, which consists of construction management, inspection, and survey. The CIP has a six-year capital budget of $195 million.
This position manages the Montgomery County Department of Parks’ infrastructure and facility construction project management, construction inspection and land surveying work programs. The incumbent plans and coordinates construction projects managed in both design-build and design-bid-build approaches. S/he applies a comprehensive knowledge of the construction industry and management practices with a solid knowledge of related fields such as engineering, landscape architecture, architecture, project management, and administrative management to ensure that the unit’s work products and services are effective and efficient. It is also necessary to work competently across the phases of construction consulting in the design, construction, and commissioning of projects. This position must be able to work well with people inside and outside of the organization to share information, advise, coordinate, obtain agreement or compliance, present and defend, convince or persuade and achieve desired actions.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT DUTIES:
- Supervises and manages work programs for construction managers , construction representatives supervisor, and a survey crew supervisor to implement the Department’s construction projects and to coordinate parkland encroachment enforcement program;
- Performs full range of supervisory human resources management functions, unit wide, such as recruitment, trains and develops staff or ensures staff training and development
- Coordinates the work of the Section with other divisional, departmental, and outside agency units;
- Identifies and recommends long-term and short-term construction service needs and initiatives,
- Authorizes construction activities by utility companies, other public agencies or private developers.
- Establishes standards, develops policies and procedures, and defines goals and objectives for the Section;
- Assigns the Section work programs, provides guidance and support to the Section staff, and monitors overall work schedules;
- Recommends annual and long-range capital improvements County-wide. Helps review cost estimates for CIP projects.
- Supervises the planning and coordination of large, complex, construction projects funded by the CIP or as major maintenance.
- Monitors construction schedules, progress and expenditures to ensure that work is completed within approved time and cost constraints.
- Meets regularly with architectural, engineering, and landscape architectural staff to coordinate construction projects and to resolve issues.
- Approves and issues Park Construction Permits to outside entities for their development projects on parkland
- Serves as member of Division’s Management Team