King County Invites Applications for the Position of:
Construction Managing Engineer (Transit Engineer VI)
Apply online at http://www.kingcounty.gov/jobs
King County is committed to equity and diversity in the workplace. In addition, the county is committed
to recruiting and maintaining a quality workforce that shares our guiding principles: collaborative, serviceoriented,
results-focused, accountable, innovative, professional and fair and just.
OPENING DATE/TIME: 04/05/17 12:00 AM (GMT -8:00)
CLOSING DATE/TIME: 04/23/17 11:59 PM (GMT -8:00)
SALARY: $47.32 - $57.83 Hourly
LOCATION: Multiple locations in King County
JOB TYPE: Career Service, Full Time, 40 hrs/week
DIVISION: Department of Transportation - Transit Division
JOB NUMBER: 2017MC06788
Are you a highly skilled construction manager/supervisor, managing
engineer, or engineering professional with a commitment to motivating and
developing staff? Are you a visionary leader who can strategically multitask
and provide leadership to other professionals in implementing the
necessary projects and tasks related to various capital and operating
King County Metro Transit's Design and Construction section is seeking to fill a
Construction Managing Engineer position. This leadership position will provide the
day to day supervision and management of assigned capital and operating projects
for public transportation operations and lead a group of six or more professional
This is the top level within a six level classification series. Incumbent may
supervise, direct and administer the procurement, construction and start-up of
major transit projects and numerous minor capital, facilities and operating
projects. Work includes supervising, directing and administering the procurement
and implementation of transit projects; overseeing the development and
implementation of capital and special projects as assigned and directing and
assigning work to a project team of technical and administrative staff for assigned
This recruitment will be used to fill a career service position in the Design and
Construction section of Metro Transit. In addition, this selection process may be
used to generate an eligibility pool for future career service, term limited temporary
(TLT) and special duty (acting) positions that occur within this classification within
the Transit Division. The eligibility pool would be valid for one year upon creation at
the discretion of the hiring authority.
Who May Apply
This position is open to King County employees and the general public.
Forms and Materials Required
An online employment application, completed at www.kingcounty.gov/jobs, with
employment history going back at least ten years if you have ten years of
employment and a resume are required. Please see application instructions at the
end of this posting for more details.
This position is exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act, and is
therefore not eligible for overtime pay. The position's base work schedule is Monday
through Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., but work outside of the normal work day is
required. Some inspection duties may require work to be performed in the evenings,
on weekends and holidays.
About King County Metro Transit
King County Metro Transit is a regional leader in helping people move quickly
throughout the region, reducing commuter stress, greening the environment and
radically improving urban air quality, by providing comfortable, effective transit
services for the thousands of commuters and other residents of King County,
Washington. Working for Metro means working for a leader in this public
King County provides our employees with a free transportation pass (good on most
transit systems throughout the Puget Sound region, including the Sounder). We
offer a benefits package that includes competitive medical, dental and vision
benefits for the whole family and domestic partner, competitive vacation, sick,
holiday and executive leave plans, and participation in the State's Public Employees
Retirement Plan (PERS), as well as the option of participating in the County's
deferred compensation plan (a 457 plan).
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
Senior HR Analyst/Recruiter
- Oversee the supervision of staff involved in the administration, design and/or inspection of assigned construction and facility projects.
- Oversee the review and direct the work of internal and external staff during the planning and design of new capital improvement projects.
- Oversee the development, review and implementation of the facility asset management programs for all assigned areas of inspection.
- Plan, develop and administer the work unit's budget. Monitor and authorize expenditures and determine methods to meet program objectives within established budget requirements.
- Plan, develop and implement field inspection policies, procedures and standards in accordance for contract provisions or federal, state, local laws and regulations.
- Oversee progress payment requests and authorize change order requests.
- Work with other supervisory staff in the identification and resolution of construction management, contract and inspection issues for all projects.
- Act as the technical liaison on all construction management and inspection program issues.
- Oversee the construction management and inspection programs including the start-up phase of assigned public works contracts. Plan and supervise these programs including assigned staff.
- Develop and implement project scope, schedule, budget and contract requirements for assigned major construction projects. Identify, implement and carry out the construction schedule. Work with project team members in formulating scope of work, budget, and staffing requirements.
- Participate in the evaluation and selection of construction contracts. Direct the negotiations of contract changes with contractors for assigned projects. Monitor, review and oversee the progress of contractors to insure compliance with contract requirements and applicable codes and regulations and for quality assurance.
- Participate as a project team member in the planning phase during preliminary design, cost estimates and feasibility studies. Review and/or direct the review of project plans and specifications for completeness, accuracy, content and the constructability as designed. Obtain and/or coordinate the necessary permits prior to the construction procurement process.
- Oversee or provide start-up assistance to operating departments to ensure staff is adequately trained to utilize new equipment and facilities.
- Prepare project status reports, resolutions and other relevant documentation for assigned project. Make presentations on the status of project.
- Direct the maintenance of project files and documents. Ensure files are accurate and up-to-date.
- Participate in public meetings and hearings on assigned projects.
- Perform other related tasks as assigned.
Applicants should complete the online application at www.kingcounty.gov as
described above. NOTE: Please answer ALL questions in the employment application
portion, with each of your jobs listed (listing each position for each employer
separately), duties explained, reasons for leaving etc. Your job history in the
employment application must go back ten years (if you have ten years of
employment). Please include earlier jobs if they are relevant to this job, unless you
include them in an optional attached resume. If you have questions about this,
please contact Mara Cardenas as stated above. Applicants who are unable to apply
online should follow the instructions at www.kingcounty.gov/jobs under Tips On
Applying. At that site is also a phone number to call if you are having difficulty
Applications will be screened to determine whether candidates meet minimum
qualifications. The most competitive candidates may be invited to participate in a
panel interview. Reference checks will also be conducted prior to any final offer of
King County Metro Transit is committed to promoting equal employment
opportunity, affirmative action, and diversity in the workplace.
This position is represented by Local 117, DOT Design and Construction Supervisors.
Class Code: 7140600 (Transit Engineer VI)
King County values diverse perspectives, life experiences, and differences. The
Department of Transportation encourages people of all backgrounds to apply,
including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with
disabilities, and veterans. We are committed to being equitable and fair in
providing equal access to opportunities for all.
Note: Online applications are preferred. However, if you cannot apply
online, go to www.kingcounty.gov/jobs for other options.
If you need an accommodation in the recruitment process or an
alternate format of this announcement, please inquire directly with the
contact listed on the job announcement or the department's Human
Resources Service Delivery Manager.